Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Newest Member of The Statesman Staff :)

Well this has been one of those ideas that come out of NO WHERE! On my birthday I was feeling extra fearless and found myself sitting in the Statesman Lounge/office talking with a few editors. Thirty minutes later I was invited to join in on the weekly Wednesday meetings. The type of writing I am doing right now is the "feature section." Which is 700-900 words on a random subject! Sounds easy right? Until you go to the meeting with five ideas to share (at this point I am deathly scared of getting shut down) and.... none of them pass through besides two! The article topic I wrote on this week was an idea from one of the editors in chief. "Crazy Roommates!" There is a rule in writing, like many other jobs, you may not interview anyone you know including family, friends, and friends of friends. With that being said I found myself knocking on random apartment doors late at night asking strangers if they have had any crazy roommate experiences. I got shut down about 3 times, felt real good. NOT! It's worth it once I get my 5 solid interviews. :) I walked out of my water aerobics class at 9 this morning, and found people reading the paper, I hunted a copy down and read it, wet hair and all! The feeling I was experiencing while reading my own ARTICLE was indescribable, I feel so important. So accomplished!! Better believe I grabbed about 15 copies to send out to my family. :) I'm not usually the bragging type, but I can't help it this time. ha-ha! I feel that this is a start to something good, I am being pushed out of my comfort zone, and pushed to my limits with writing. My next article runs in the paper on the 27th, the topic is Men on Pinterest. This one will be a riot! I am on cloud nine. Here is an online version of the paper:

http://www.usustatesman.com/roommate-drama-rages-through-students-apartments-1.2793280






This song is for YOU mom & dad. Quite fitting if I say so myself :)



2 comments: